Can I basically throw anything in?
Banner

Hi, Guest

Author Topic: Can I basically throw anything in?  (Read 3717 times)

LucidEnergy

• Hello I am new here - please say hi.
    • View Profile
« on: November 25, 2015, 12:30:27 AM »
I know this will seem like an incredibly novice question, but within reason, can you throw anything into a biomass boiler? Like old newspapers, drieds twigs and other dry garden waste?

allegrif

• View Profile
Re: Can I basically throw anything in?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 12:04:44 PM »
I believe so, at least for it to work anyway. The question is more of a moral and environmental one. Burning things like plastic and rubber would also work for example, but you'd be doing far more harm than good to the environment.

LucidEnergy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 02:58:59 PM »
I believe so, at least for it to work anyway. The question is more of a moral and environmental one. Burning things like plastic and rubber would also work for example, but you'd be doing far more harm than good to the environment.

Indeed, although things like twigs and dried leaves would not be harmful. I wouldn't put plastic in as I know burning plastic can produce toxic fumes. My main concern is whether you could damage the boiler by feeding it with random but of dried organic material, rather than specific wood logs.

St Rhenium

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 05:01:39 PM »
Indeed, although things like twigs and dried leaves would not be harmful. I wouldn't put plastic in as I know burning plastic can produce toxic fumes. My main concern is whether you could damage the boiler by feeding it with random but of dried organic material, rather than specific wood logs.
I doubt you'd damage it. If you did, I'm sure it would be reversible damage. I'm just more conscious of the environmental impact of what goes in.

Find a local installer

Welcome to the biggest directory of UK renewable energy companies

Or

COMPARE PRICES FROM LOCAL INSTALLERS

Compare prices from local companies fast & free

Enter your postcode to compare quotes from leading professionals. We promise to keep your information Safe & Secure. Privacy Policy

Press Esc to close