Green walls? - Forum - The Renewable Energy Hub
Banner

Author Topic: Green walls?  (Read 5877 times)

St Rhenium

• Hello I am new here - please say hi.
    • View Profile
Green walls?
« on: December 02, 2015, 07:20:37 PM »
Not quite green roofs, but I thought this forum best matched the subject. What do you make of green walls? That is, a wall covered in plant life? This is one example:

They're nice for oxidising the air, but they're a lot more limited in their application than green roofs. Additionally, many people don't like the look of them and they can cause cracking in the underlying wall. Would you want to see more of these, or should we just stick to roofing?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 06:12:04 PM by msarwar »

Jemappelle

• View Profile
Re: Green walls?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 03:58:06 PM »
On the odd building it looks OK, but as a general rule I wouldn't have too much or on larger buildings as it can ruin the beuaty of the architecture.

JamesH

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 04:33:20 PM »
Not quite green roofs, but I thought this forum best matched the subject. What do you make of green walls? That is, a wall covered in plant life? This is one example:

They're nice for oxidising the air, but they're a lot more limited in their application than green roofs. Additionally, many people don't like the look of them and they can cause cracking in the underlying wall. Would you want to see more of these, or should we just stick to roofing?

They seem a lot more practical than Green roofs, and as you can't really have solar walls, it would be better to have green on the walls, panels on the roof.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 06:12:31 PM by msarwar »

LucidEnergy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 01:38:19 AM »
I don't think most of these green walls are planned actually :P Just seems like the sort of thing that gradually happpens over time without anyone putting thought into it.

allegrif

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2015, 03:23:42 PM »
They seem a lot more practical than Green roofs, and as you can't really have solar walls, it would be better to have green on the walls, panels on the roof.
Love this thinking. Green on the walls, solar on the roof. Perhaps we can do this as a solution to the green/solar roof debate?  ;)
On subject, I do like the green walls, but the effect on the architecture would concern me. Roots creating cracks may be an issue, especially when compounded with freeze-thaw.

jennyhannb

• View Profile
    • geometry dash
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 03:35:26 AM »
A 3-story house has a very easy blue wall, but the 25-story building is unimaginable. The blue color should only appear on the balcony of each floor.

Find a local installer

Welcome to the biggest directory of UK renewable energy companies

Or

COMPARE PRICES FROM LOCAL INSTALLERS

Compare prices from local companies fast & free

Enter your postcode to compare quotes from leading professionals. We promise to keep your information Safe & Secure. Privacy Policy

Press Esc to close