Will there ever be a dam larger than Three gorges?
Banner

Hi, Guest

Author Topic: Will there ever be a dam larger than Three gorges?  (Read 10515 times)

JamesH

• Hello I am new here - please say hi.
    • View Profile
« on: November 27, 2015, 12:14:24 PM »
I personally don't see it happening. the 22.5GW mosnter is China will probably remain the largest in my opinion. I don't see Egypt/Brazil damming up the Nile or Amzon, and that's probably the only way it could be exceeded.

What do you think?

LucidEnergy

• View Profile
Re: Will there ever be a dam larger than Three gorges?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 05:41:09 PM »
I don't believe so. The Nile will never be damned because it is too politically sensitive (whereas china had no one to battle with) and ecologically sensitive too.
The Amazon will also probably never be damned, because Brazil would not risk such environmental damage when they are already facing critisism for deforestation.

St Rhenium

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 04:35:03 PM »
I personally don't see it happening. the 22.5GW mosnter is China will probably remain the largest in my opinion. I don't see Egypt/Brazil damming up the Nile or Amzon, and that's probably the only way it could be exceeded.

What do you think?
Any successor would have to be built on a new, artificial river for the reasons given above. I can't see any nation fashioning a new river out of nothing anytime soon, so for now it looks like the 3 gorges will go unrivaled.

Jemappelle

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 07:26:41 PM »
No, only China has the combination of large enough river and political will to achieve such a feat. The few other rivers that could potentially carry a larger dam are not in locations suitable, or with the type of government needed.

Find a local installer

Welcome to the biggest directory of UK renewable energy companies

Or

COMPARE PRICES FROM LOCAL INSTALLERS

Compare prices from local companies fast & free

Enter your postcode to compare quotes from leading professionals. We promise to keep your information Safe & Secure. Privacy Policy

Press Esc to close