What are the components and material used in large wind turbines?
Banner

Forum - What are the components and material used in large wind turbines?

Hi, Guest

Author Topic: What are the components and material used in large wind turbines?  (Read 158 times)

Aathil

• Hello I am new here - please say hi.
    • View Profile
Hi everyone, its my first time here and I was wondering if I could get some help.

I have this university course project in which I have present a presentation on a 7MW Wind turbine that is hypothetically designed by my team. Our design consists of the following;
Wind Turbine type = Onshore HAWT
Rotor Diameter = 165 m
Blade length = 80 m
Swept area = 21,000 mē
Hub Height= 100 m
 Our location is set to be some where along the coasts of UK.

One of the problems the team and I are facing is that we are not sure how we could cost this wind turbine, as you know transporting a 80 m blade isn't an easy task nor is the assembling. Another problem we face is that we are unaware of the type of material to use for our hypothetical wind turbine.
From my understanding, a steel tower is really hard to transport but a concrete tower can be built on site, other than concrete being used for the tower, what other materials do Wind turbine manufacturers use for the main components, such as the blades, tower, hub, yaw etc.?

Any help I could get will useful.

Thank you :)

Find a local installer

Welcome to the biggest directory of UK renewable energy companies

Or

COMPARE PRICES FROM LOCAL INSTALLERS

Compare prices from local companies fast & free

Enter your postcode to compare quotes from leading professionals. We promise to keep your information Safe & Secure. Privacy Policy

Press Esc to close