News:

Welcome to the 'Renewable Energy Forum' - Here you can ask any questions you like to a large panel of industry professionals and like-minded enthusiasts. Or simply search the forum for existing answers to your questions, and chat freely with your peers in our friendly community.

Main Menu

Can I basically throw anything in?

Started by LucidEnergy, November 25, 2015, 12:30:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LucidEnergy

I know this will seem like an incredibly novice question, but within reason, can you throw anything into a biomass boiler? Like old newspapers, drieds twigs and other dry garden waste?

allegrif

I believe so, at least for it to work anyway. The question is more of a moral and environmental one. Burning things like plastic and rubber would also work for example, but you'd be doing far more harm than good to the environment.

LucidEnergy

[quote author=allegrif link=topic=142.msg297#msg297 date=1448453084]
I believe so, at least for it to work anyway. The question is more of a moral and environmental one. Burning things like plastic and rubber would also work for example, but you'd be doing far more harm than good to the environment.
[/quote]

Indeed, although things like twigs and dried leaves would not be harmful. I wouldn't put plastic in as I know burning plastic can produce toxic fumes. My main concern is whether you could damage the boiler by feeding it with random but of dried organic material, rather than specific wood logs.

St Rhenium

[quote author=LucidEnergy link=topic=142.msg314#msg314 date=1448463539]
Indeed, although things like twigs and dried leaves would not be harmful. I wouldn't put plastic in as I know burning plastic can produce toxic fumes. My main concern is whether you could damage the boiler by feeding it with random but of dried organic material, rather than specific wood logs.
[/quote]
I doubt you'd damage it. If you did, I'm sure it would be reversible damage. I'm just more conscious of the environmental impact of what goes in.