News:

Welcome to the 'Renewable Energy Forum' - Here you can ask any questions you like to a large panel of industry professionals and like-minded enthusiasts. Or simply search the forum for existing answers to your questions, and chat freely with your peers in our friendly community.

Main Menu

Does China deserve the criticism it gets?

Started by LucidEnergy, November 25, 2015, 12:47:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LucidEnergy

It may be the world's leading co2 emmitor, but it is also the world's leading renewable energy producer. Leading the world in hydro, wind, and solar.

I'd say that they are doing a disproportionate amount to expand renewables, both with domestic production, and with research and development. Overall, I'd say they are unfairly criticised.

JamesH

It gets too much criticism. It may build  two coal fired stations per week, but per capita that is the same as the US building two per month. As China is still developing this will eventually stop, and they are already outpacing everyone else in renewables generation.

China produces approximately enough wind energy to power half the UK national grid.

Zarostulus

[quote author=LucidEnergy link=topic=145.msg287#msg287 date=1448412424]
It may be the world's leading co2 emmitor, but it is also the world's leading renewable energy producer. Leading the world in hydro, wind, and solar.

I'd say that they are doing a disproportionate amount to expand renewables, both with domestic production, and with research and development. Overall, I'd say they are unfairly criticised.
[/quote]
I've been a bit guilty here. I genuinely had no idea China produced so much renewable energy, so I'm pretty glad to hear that. On the other hand, 2 coal stations per week is a bit scary!

LucidEnergy

[quote author=Zarostulus link=topic=145.msg481#msg481 date=1449082155]
I've been a bit guilty here. I genuinely had no idea China produced so much renewable energy, so I'm pretty glad to hear that. On the other hand, 2 coal stations per week is a bit scary!
[/quote]
True but as a percentage it is falling, and at least stations are closing in the US and Europe to counter the building of new ones.

Jemappelle

They may now be the largest emmitor, but of emmissions in the air now, only a small portion was originated emmited by the Chinese, so they still maintain the moral high ground.