News:

Welcome to the 'Renewable Energy Forum' - Here you can ask any questions you like to a large panel of industry professionals and like-minded enthusiasts. Or simply search the forum for existing answers to your questions, and chat freely with your peers in our friendly community.

Main Menu

Do 'smart meters' really reduce consumption?

Started by allegrif, December 03, 2015, 03:13:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

allegrif

Many energy suppliers are now offering 'smart meters', which let you see exactly how much electricity and gas you're going through. The idea is that these will make people more conscious of their energy usage and so more likely to cut down. Do you have one Do you think they really work?

Jemappelle

I think they might, although I monitor my meter most days anyway and know how much I pay per unit. I don't think they should be compulsery though. I constantly get hassled about changing mine by EON.

JamesH

[quote author=allegrif link=topic=202.msg505#msg505 date=1449155581]
Many energy suppliers are now offering 'smart meters', which let you see exactly how much electricity and gas you're going through. The idea is that these will make people more conscious of their energy usage and so more likely to cut down. Do you have one Do you think they really work?
[/quote]

I don't see them changing behavior. It's not as if you can choose to turn the fridge off, and people already know watching the TV costs money so I can't see it reducing consumption at all.

amyrd504

He is happiest, be he king or peasant, who finds peace in his home.
[url=https://www.agreenorigin.com/]A Green Origin[/url]