News:

Welcome to the 'Renewable Energy Forum' - Here you can ask any questions you like to a large panel of industry professionals and like-minded enthusiasts. Or simply search the forum for existing answers to your questions, and chat freely with your peers in our friendly community.

Main Menu

Is it possible to move PV panels to different day positions.

Started by Cairngorm, May 15, 2022, 08:18:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cairngorm

I have PV panels on my roof and in hindsight I wished I had maxed out the available space on my south facing roof. Wondering about adding more panels , but not necessarily putting up scaffolding to achieve that. I have a gable end house facing in-between East and South and would catch the early morning sun and is it feasible to take them off and move them to the other gable end to catch the late sun on that side. The question is that achievable for someone who is retired with time on his hands.                                                                I also have a garage roof with the same orientation and was also wondering if a panel could be placed to run in a track pivoting in the middle, so that it could be pushed towards the apex of the roof and running in the track be moved to catch the evening sun.  I envisage four panels for either scenario and looking for advice, recommendations and with the proviso that my father used to say it was a very thin line between being a pioneer and a f****** idiot. It must surely have been a coincidence that he was always looking at me when he trotted out that phrase.

RBurdett

I wouldn't recommend this, I can't see it yielding the value you would require vs the risk of damaging the panels, roof or god forbid yourself in the frequency of the move.

A automated sun tracking ground mount would be best, but they are not cheap, look fancy, but are unfortunately fairly expensive.

You could just fit cheaper panels to the other side with micro-inverters so it doesn't affect the overall generation potential negatively when not in full sun.