News:

Welcome to the 'Renewable Energy Forum' - Here you can ask any questions you like to a large panel of industry professionals and like-minded enthusiasts. Or simply search the forum for existing answers to your questions, and chat freely with your peers in our friendly community.

Main Menu

Solar PV & Tesla Powerwall 2

Started by ollie2022uk, March 06, 2022, 10:45:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ollie2022uk

Hi all,

Currently i'm looking into installing 2 x tesla powerwalls into my home. I currently have a 4kw slaor system that feeds straight into the house. No energy is put back into the grid.

I'm looking to move onto an EV tarrif with octopus energy to make use of the off peak power. My question is, does anyone know how long it takes to fully chatge a powerwall 2 from 0-100% on the grid?  The plan is to store cheap energy at night and then use it during the day along side sloar.

Chances are that i'll have an additional set of sloar panels installed (to make use of the 15% vat saving) to act as an additonal feed in for the house and the batteries.

Does anyone have experience with a similar setup? If so what are your thoughts?

steve_pr

I have a 4kw solar system and Powerwall/Gateway 2. We used to have an electric vehicle so moved to the Octopus Go EV tariff. Vehicle now gone but we use the 4 hour window (currently at 5p/unit) to charge the Powerwall 2 overnight and then run from the battery and solar during the day. The powerwall will happily power to 100% within that window, pulling 3.5-4kw from the grid. If you have 2 powerwall battery banks you may be limited by the limits in the Gateway 2 but not sure.

The system works a treat and currently saves us a fortune.