News:

Welcome to the 'Renewable Energy Forum' - Here you can ask any questions you like to a large panel of industry professionals and like-minded enthusiasts. Or simply search the forum for existing answers to your questions, and chat freely with your peers in our friendly community.

Main Menu

How quickly could the world become 100% renewable?

Started by Jemappelle, December 04, 2015, 01:56:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jemappelle

Assuming a perfect hypothetical scenario where ever country in the world was on board and fully commited to achieving a 100% renewable world as fast as possible, how soon could we see it? I think 2040 is the earliest threshold. But of course that won't happen in reality.

LucidEnergy

For 100% I'd say probably 2050 as an absolute best case scenario. Europe could probably make it by 2035 at a push, but China has far too many coal stations already in the pipeline. So they aren't going to pull down stations the day they are built, 90% by 2040 is possible though.

allegrif

[quote author=Jemappelle link=topic=216.msg554#msg554 date=1449194204]
Assuming a perfect hypothetical scenario where ever country in the world was on board and fully commited to achieving a 100% renewable world as fast as possible, how soon could we see it? I think 2040 is the earliest threshold. But of course that won't happen in reality.
[/quote]
I#m going to be a lot more optimistic and say 2025. If we were all fully committed, the technology already exists and it would just be a case of making the investment. Just look at the Norway and Uruguay examples given elsewhere on the forum, it [i]is[/i] possible today.

GemmaRowlands

I think it will take a lot of work to make this the case, but I don't think it's impossible to think about for the future. You can't just think about the actual energy - you also need to consider the appliances that we use, and the way that these will need to be adapted, so you will need a changeover time of one generation at least, if not two. But for the future, this is definitely possible, without any shadow of a doubt.

JohnLi

It will be quite challenging to be 100% renewable, but I feel UK could achieve it in another 15 yrs.

kritika3333

The endeavor to use 100% renewable energy for electricity, heating/cooling and transport is motivated by global warming, pollution and other environmental issues, as well as economic and energy security concerns. Shifting the total global primary energy supply to renewable sources requires a transition of the energy system. In 2013 the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change said that there are few fundamental technological limits to integrating a portfolio of renewable energy technologies to meet most of total global energy demand. Renewable energy use has grown much faster than even advocates anticipated.

olivermasson99

100% of the world will never rely on solar energy because in some areas like Russia, Canada and Siberia solar is not possible because of the very low sunlight. Other than that commercial electricity can be very costly for industry owners.
Oliver Masson
For further Details about me see
http://www.perfectsolarhome.com/