News:

Welcome to the 'Renewable Energy Forum' - Here you can ask any questions you like to a large panel of industry professionals and like-minded enthusiasts. Or simply search the forum for existing answers to your questions, and chat freely with your peers in our friendly community.

Main Menu

5-600w solar - Is it worth it

Started by NorthernMonkey, March 04, 2022, 03:44:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NorthernMonkey

Hello all,
My first post here, and looking to become a little more energy self sufficient via solar.

I work from home for most of the day, and the power consumption of my house is ~150 - 200w when I am working, mostly from laptop and monitors.
My overall consumption is ~ 6-7000kwh per year, approximately 75% of which is between 00:30 and 04:30 on octopus go, charging 2 EVs, washing machine and dryer

My house roof is pretty unsuitable for solar, I've had a couple of people take a look, but there is an option to potentially install 2 south facing panels od around 300w on the roof of the garage. My thinking is an install of this size will cover most of my during the day use (except when I put the kettle on), Most installers dont seem to be interested in such a small install. Is this a total waste of time or is this something which is worth persuing?

Berserkerboy

I would say yes, especially if you have cash in the bank earning a pittance.
I would go down the DIY route as I have done. Look at Plug in Solar with enphase microinverters. For a small system like this, I think I'm right in saying you don't need a monitor which adds to costs. They would be able to advise you.
If you have power to the garage then you should be able to simply spur into the ring then tell your DNO with the online forms they provide.